Friday, July 24, 2009

Dealing with Christians


The other day I attended a community affair in the little Appalachian mountain town where i have chosen, momentarily to hang my hat. Although this was neither a political or religious event, views came thru in the conversations I had. A local pastor put in a plug for creationism and there was praise for Governor Palin and abuse for President Obama. OK, politically this the white south, so I know this all about race. During the election, I received numerous "funny" e mails about Obama and race. Its not about the recession, health care, or the war on terror, out here its all about race.
I was surprised to see the number of people who agreed with the pastors literal interpertation of the Bible as both history and natural science. Its been almost 100 years since the Scopes trial,over 15 since Darwin, and yet these folks,some college educated,deny the facts of evolution. They are also the same crowd that denies global warming or climate change. They seem to be waiting fro Christ's second coming, as I was told that the signs are in place for this event.
I try to be tolerant of other beliefs, I understand that God is so undefinable and even comprehensible by our limited awareness, that it renders discussion of these thing irrelevant.
But I think of Imperial China and the Ottoman Empire as great societies, who, unable to process modern thought and technology, had their empires crumble and fall. A miror on the wall for America?

No comments:

Post a Comment